Brother’s Keeper is a service program developed with the mission of advocating for and improving the quality of life for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. brothers, their spouses, and widows who are retired, are elders, have disabilities and are ailing. Upon identification of need, the Brother’s Keeper Program also provides assistance to mature and ailing members of its communities. Limitations caused by advanced age place demands on family members, caregivers, and the larger community to ensure that elders remain independently functional. The goal of the Brother’s Keeper Program is to promote dignity and independence among Alpha family and community members who need help in keeping their lives and homes functional. There are seven objectives to the program:
- Objective 1: Assist in maintaining living environments that are compatible with participants’ levels of functioning;
- Objective 2: Assist in maintaining the upkeep of participants’ properties;
- Objective 3: Assist with health care decision making;
- Objective 4: Provide companionship;
- Objective 5: Provide legal services;
- Objective 6: Provide transportation; and
- Objective 7: Ensure adequate supplies of food, water, and clothing, with special emphasis on disaster management and recovery.